* It Takes Work to Get Work
- Show Up! Immerse yourself in the art community and get to know people by attending openings and lectures. Network.
- Build a website that features your best work, a downloadable resume, a short bio, an artist statement (if applicable), and a way to contact you. Include links to your social media accounts. Keep your information up to date.
- Curate a separate professional social media account (ie instagram). Join sites like LinkedIn.
- Working as an assistant or apprentice is a fantastic way to learn on the job. Reaching out to artists & designers in your area that you admire is a great way to get started.
- Create a mailing list for self promotion (emails and addresses)
- Get postcards and business cards made
- Keep a detailed log of expenses and income related to your art practice
- Follow-Up! Send handwritten thank you notes to anyone who helps along the way
- Don't be afraid to use your Siena connections and reach out to Siena grads in your field. Again, Network.
- Research. Look at the links provided here, reach out to artists that inspire you, find the best jobs, exhibitions, and residences that match you and your work.
- Be on time to any interview, portfolio review, or conversation. Bring a notebook and your business card.